On 11/16/2016 at 1109 hours, the Bardstown Fire Department was dispatched to 118 Patriot Drive for a report of smoke in the building. Upon arrival of first units, there was a smell of smoke in the building. After investigation, it was determined that an electrical junction box which had been worked on earlier that week had shorted out inside of a return air vent. Crews isolated the electricity to the junction box. Crews were on scene for about 40 minutes.
On 11/16/2016 at 0951, the Bardstown Fire Department was dispatched to a report of a 3 vehicle MVC with injuries. Upon arrival, it was determined that only three vehicles were involved. FD provided patient care until EMS arrived and mitigated the scene of any hazards. Crews were on scene for about 40 minutes.
As you plan your Thanksgiving menu don’t forget about fire safety.
Did you know Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires? The number of home fires double on Thanksgiving. So, let’s add a pinch of fire safety to the menu.
Keep these safety tips in mind as you prepare your meal.
If you are roasting your turkey, make sure you set a timer. This way, you won’t forget about the bird as you watch the parade or football.
If you are frying your turkey,
- Use a fryer with thermostat controls. This will ensure the oil does not become over heated.
- Thaw your turkey completely. Ice on the bird will cause the oil to splatter.
- Don’t overfill the pot with oil. If you do, the oil will overflow when you add the turkey causing a fire hazard.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the fryer.
- Also, always use the fryer outdoors.
Stuffing and Potatoes:
Stand by your stove when you are boiling your potatoes or frying onions for stuffing. It is best to stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling or broiling. If you are in the kitchen, it is easier to catch spills or hazardous conditions before they become a fire.
- Keep the area around the stove clear of packaging, paper towels, and dish cloths; anything that can burn.
- Be sure to clean up any spills as they happen.
- Be prepared. Keep a large pan lid or baking sheet handy in case you need to smother a pan fire.
- Turn pot handles towards the back of the stove so you don’t bump them.
On 11/10/2016 at 0830 hours, the Bardstown Fire Department responded to a report of an MVC with injuries in front of Baskin Robbins. When crews arrived they had found a three vehicle MVC with two patients with one vehicle striking the flower shop. Crews provided patient care prior to EMS arrival and checked the structure for stability. Crews were on scene for about 30 minutes.
On 11/10/2016 at 0816 hours, the Bardstown Fire Department was dispatched to 903 Nutter Drive (FET Engineering) on a report of an activated fire alarm. While enroute, dispatched advised that they had received a call from plant personnel that they did have a fire in the grinding room but it appeared the suppression system had extinguished it. When fire crews arrived there was light smoke showing from a bay door. Fire crews entered into the grinding booth and performed overhaul and ventilation. Crews were on scene for about an hour and half.
On 11/08/2016 at 1731 hours, the Bardstown Fire Department was dispatched to the 300 block of S 3rd Street for a strong smell of gas. When crews arrived it was determined that one of the natural gas substations had a small leak in one of the valves. LG&E was notified to come make repairs. Crews were on scene for about 15 minutes.
On 11/08/2016 at 0607 hours, the Bardstown Fire Department was dispatched to a report of a fire on a front porch in the 1000 block of N 3rd Street. Upon arrival of first units, some citizens that were passing by saw the fire and used what water that they had to extinguish the fire. Flames had spread up the wall from the porch. Crews conducted overhaul on the exterior wall of the front of the structure. Crews were on scene for about one and half hours.
On 11/07/2016 at 2324 hours, the Bardstown Fire Department was dispatched to Fuji Seal for an activated alarm due to sparks coming from an electrical box. When crews arrived on scene, plant maintenance was already working on the issue. Fire department took no action and were on scene for about 20 minutes.
On 11/07/2016 at 1810 hours, the Bardstown Fire Department was dispatched to the 100 block of Palco Street to a report of a fire pit that had appeared to have gotten out of control. Upon arrival of the first units, it was determined that they homeowner was burning illegal materials. The homeowner had to extinguish the fire and units were on scene for about 15 minutes.